Pages

Monday 12 October 2015

INTRO

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjcM9TmfqrVgDand0ayeiMXEzqh2R39lIGKVv4-T60g1ESQnl3NJr0oagY9a4wG5AQ7syghtE5lbhEXH93KlmsAZLeoLSAdPrw2ooM7f2hDdXChuvP0YpwLoSI5ZRxwKqBAveFufsC2ggKt/s320/DSC06279.JPG

I have wanted to ride the length of the South Island since I was about 14 and this is the year I am going to do it.  I want to ride from Cape Farewell to Bluff and go down through the middle to the island as much as possible.  I am leaving from Nelson as the weather is warmer up there and I want to do this section before it gets too hot for the horses.  Also I will be heading home as I want to be home for Christmas.

9th of October
Brian Potts kindly offered to take me and the horses up to start our journey.  I don't think our trusty elderly truck would have handled this trip too well.   We left home at 8am with Chief and Maddy and arrived in Christchurch just after 4pm.  The horses travelled well and were happy to roll and eat grass.  We stayed at Natalie and Geoff's place in Greenpark and Natalie's horse, Breeze was happy to have some friends for a sleep over.  She was not so impressed when they left again in the morning.  The next day we left about 8am and headed up to Nelson to pick up Stan from the airport and travel on to Cape Farewell, this was a big day and the trip over the Takaka hill was a lot steeper than I had expected but we finally arrived and the horses were so happy to unload, roll and eat grass.  The horses stayed the night at Cape Farewell Horse Treks in a lovely big paddock and we stayed in the camping ground.

It took two days to arrive by vehicle and will hopefully take about two months to ride home.





No comments:

Post a Comment